Top Five Jobs You Can Get with an Online Degree
While you may regularly do your holiday shopping and banking online, you may be surprised to hear that you can earn an online degree as well. Many universities have branched out into the cyber world in order to offer students the luxury of earning a degree from the comfort of their home office. By doing this, universities and colleges are able to reach a population of students that may not otherwise be able to receive a degree. Whether you live in a rural area, far away from a university campus or your busy work schedule keeps you from attending college, you can register for courses online, and work toward earning a degree in many various career options.
A growing number of students have been registering for online courses, partly due to the fact that more students have to hold a full-time job while going to school. According to a study performed by Babson Survey Research Group in 2011, over 6.1 million students were enrolled in at least one college course online in 2011. That’s a whopping 31% of all college students. There are many online programs available, giving students the opportunity to choose a field that they are passionate about. Here are five of the most popular online degree programs in no particular order.
- 1. Health Care
There is a growing need for educated health care professionals in the field, leaving a wide variety of job positions open to those who are qualified. Students who have a passion for helping others and are intrigued by the anatomy and physiology of the human body would make great health care experts.
- Courses: When enrolled in a health care online degree program, you can expect to take courses in anatomy, physiology, medical terminology, ethics and patient care, just to name a few.
- Potential Careers: Whether you choose to receive an online associates, bachelors or technical degree, job options include registered nursing, medical assisting, pharmacy technician, medical billing and coding, medical transcription or health insurance underwriting.
- Career Highlight: Registered nurses have one of the most secure jobs in America. The American Association of Colleges of Nursing reports that the U.S. is gearing up for a nursing shortage due to the retirement of the baby boomer generation. Since there are a variety of online nursing programs available, it is simple to enroll in a program and begin your journey to becoming a registered nurse.
- 2. Computer and Information Sciences
There is no question that computers have found their way into every facet of life. From typing on your personal computer at home, to logging in on the corporate intranet, computer experts are needed to keep everything running smoothly.
- Courses: An online degree in computer and information sciences involves looking into various areas within the technology industry, including informatics, computer science and computer programming.
- Potential Careers: Computer systems analyst, computer programmer and computer systems administrators are just a few of the job opportunities awaiting those with degrees in computer and information sciences.
- Career Highlight: Computer programmers are responsible for testing the code, script and forms that are needed for computer applications to run properly. Many of them work hand-in-hand with program designers to develop new software programs. With great salary potential and benefits, computer programmers enjoy premium working conditions.
- 3. Education
Those who wish to teach others can do so after obtaining an online degree in education. In addition to online coursework, there is a student teaching component that is required to obtain your teaching license. Teaching students spend several weeks in a classroom developing lesson plans and instructing students under the direction of an experienced teacher.
- Courses: Educational psychology, instructional strategies and classroom management are common courses in an education program.
- Potential Careers: Not only can you become a teaching professional, but you could receive a certification in special education or teaching English as a second language.
- Career Highlight: Elementary school teachers are in high demand despite several budget cuts. In fact, the Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts nearly 250,000 teaching jobs will be open within the next five to ten years.
- 4. Psychology
If you are fascinated by human behavior and like to dissect people’s thought processes, you may find your dream career in the field of psychology. Many opportunities exist, whether it is directly in the field of psychology or in another field, such as business or education. In fact, many job fields require an understanding of human behavior. This is what makes the field of psychology so popular.
- Courses: You may enjoy taking courses, such as social psychology, brain and behavior, perception and sensation and abnormal psychology from the comfort of your couch with an online degree.
- Potential Careers: Probation officers, counselors, psychological technicians and social workers are just a few of the amazing jobs you can find with your psychology degree.
- Career Highlight: Educational counselors are currently in high demand, with the increasing concern over the emotional stability of students. These professionals are responsible for coaching and counseling students of all ages, and providing academic and emotional support.
- 5. Business Administration
An online degree in business administration may be just what you need to jumpstart your ability to run a business, start a new company or manage a team. Online courses teach the following business tools:
- Courses: Courses offered in business administration include accounting, business ethics, marketing, human resources, and operations management.
- Potential Careers: With a business administration degree, you may be eligible for positions such as insurance underwriter, financial analyst, human resources specialist, and personal financial advisor.
- Career Highlight: Human resource specialists are an important part of any company as they are responsible for the hiring, training and organization of employees within the company. Not only do they handle employee benefits, but they are the go-to person when a performance issue arises. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts this career field to grow by 21% by year 2020.
The ability to earn an online degree gives opportunities to those who may not be able to attend a traditional college program. Whether you choose an entirely new field of profession or are seeking advancement in your current position, an online degree makes it all possible.
- See more at: http://www.edegreeusa.com/enews-top-five-jobs-you-can-get-with-an-online-degree.aspx#sthash.GLRls35J.dpuf